Attendance at school is compulsory until the end of June in the child’s 16th year. Following that, participation in education or training is compulsory until the end of June in the child’s 18th year. Very occasionally absences for illness or other reasons may occur. We are required by law to keep accurate records of every absence.
Ideally we would hope that no child will ever be absent given the extensive coursework and teacher assessments which take place on a daily basis. However, if absence is unavoidable:
- We ask all parents to telephone the school absence line number 01672 515081 on the first day of any absence. Otherwise our automated attendance system will call you to validate the absence.
- Unexplained or unauthorised absences are regarded as truancy and will be recorded as such.
- Medical or other appointments in school time should be avoided if at all possible but if not an Exeat slip must be obtained from the school. A half day is considered sufficient for most appointments.
- Frequent absences will be investigated and the Education Welfare Service may then be involved.
- Please note that by law Headteachers are no longer permitted to grant leave of absence except in exceptional circumstances such as a family member funeral.